1) If I make a mistake entering a new address, how can I change or delete it? Use the Edit or Delete button beside the specific address on the Addresses page. If you cannot correct the problem, please contact the Information Technology Help Desk for assistance.
2) How do I cancel out of adding a new address? Any of these options will cancel the page: a) Use the cancel button if one, b) Select from the “go to” dropdown, then click the arrow, or c) Use the Home button in the blue bar at the top of page.
3) Must you enter a “Date new address will take effect” and why? Yes. It provides a way for you to enter an address before you move. It also provides for a history of your address changes. For example, JMU Mail Services uses the dates to determine the routing of mail.
4) If I add or update an address, don’t click the save button, then exit MyMadison, are my changes automatically saved? No. Only the Save button will cause your work to be saved in the student system.
6) I’m having trouble finding a country. Here are two ways: 1) Enter the first letter of the country (like F) and click Lookup. Or 2) Choose Advanced Lookup and clear the Country field. Enter one or more letters in the Description field (like fran) and click Lookup.
7) Will the information I enter show up when I search for my name on the JMU Electronic Directory? Yes, but only after it is transferred from the central student system. Addresses will normally be available one day after the date you specified. Phone numbers will normally be available the day after you enter them.
8) Who will have access to this information? When you click "Save" for address or phone information on MyMadison, it is stored directly to JMU's central student system. The data is used exactly as when you provide it manually. Your address and phone changes are instantly available for official JMU mailings. The data is also used on official reports such as transcripts, JMU Telephone Directory and the JMU Electronic Directory. It is accessible for online lookup by approved faculty and staff for educational needs. A limited number of staff has update access.
9) Why do staff members have update access? If the US Postal Service returns mail to a JMU department with an address correction, they will enter the correction. If they do, they will let you know by email. Also, they will enter an address or phone change if you submit a request.
10) What if I want privacy? You may request that JMU not release your address or phone data. To do so, contact the Registrar. For more information, see the Privacy Information link near the bottom of your Student Center page.
11) Do people living off campus (commuters) have to provide a local address? Yes, unless it is the same as your home address. The local address provides information should you need to be contacted in an emergency. It also provides JMU an address for sending you mail.
12) Why should only commuters change their local address? On-campus students have a JMU box as their local address. It is maintained centrally, not by students. However, on-campus students who are moving off campus should specify a new local address and the date it takes effect.
If you have added a local address by mistake, remove it on MyMadison by clicking the Delete button next to local address. Please contact JMU Mail Services within 24 hours to ensure your mailbox is not closed. 568-6042 or firstname.lastname@example.org
13) What if I add a local address and I am an on-campus student? On-campus students should not specify a new local address unless they are moving off campus. A local address other than James Madison University is only used for commuters.
If you have added a local address by mistake, click the Delete button next to local address on MyMadison. Please contact JMU Mail Services within 24 hours to ensure your mailbox is not closed: 568-6042 or email@example.com
14) What if I am an on-campus student and I delete my local address for James Madison University? Please contact JMU Mail Services within 24 hours to re-activate your local address and ensure your mailbox is not closed: 568-6042 or firstname.lastname@example.org
15) What if I don't enter a forwarding address? If you do not enter your forwarding address, your mailbox may fill up and you will not receive your mail. When JMU Mail Services recognizes that your box should be closed, your mail will be returned to the sender.
16) When will my mail get forwarded? JMU Mail Services will begin forwarding your mail according to the effective date you enter. Mail is typically forwarded the same day or the day after it is saved into the student system.
17) What if I'm going to be away all summer and am a JMU mailbox holder? Choose Add a New Address, specify Forward as address type and enter the date the address should start being used. You can modify it by choosing Change a Future Address on the Addresses page. Once the start date of the Forward Address has arrived, use the Delete button next to Forward Address and enter the date the address should no longer be used. Toward the end of August, your old mailbox will be reopened to receive mail. Due to mail transit time, JMU Mail Services will not forward after the third week in August.
20) What if I'm graduating and am a JMU mailbox holder? Add a new address with Forward as Address Type and with the date the address should start being used. Once the start date of the Forward Address has arrived, use the Delete button next to Forward Address and enter the date address should no longer be used. JMU Mail Services will forward your mail for 90 days. Please also send address change cards to those who regularly send you mail (magazines, bills, etc.) These cards are included in a Mover's Guide, which you can pick up at the service window in Warren Hall.
21) What if I'm not returning to JMU and am a JMU mailbox holder? Add a new address with Forward as Address Type and with the date the address should start being used. Once the start date of the Forward Address has arrived, use the Delete button next to Forward address and enter the date address should no longer be used. JMU Mail Services will forward your mail for 90 days. Please also send address change cards to those who regularly send you mail (magazines, bills, etc.) These cards are included in a Mover's Guide, which you can pick up at the service window in Warren Hall.
22) What if I am graduating or not returning and am not a JMU box holder? Provide a forwarding address to one of the Harrisonburg Post Offices to have your mail forwarded. And please update your JMU Home address to show where you plan to reside after leaving JMU.
23) What if I’m not going to live on campus in the fall and am a JMU mailbox holder? Add a new address with Forward as Address Type and with the date the address should start being used. Once the start date of the Forward Address has arrived, use the Delete button next to Forward Address and enter the date address should no longer be used. For fall, enter the fall local address with the start date it is to be used. You will lose your mailbox on campus, but can obtain a new address through your landlord off campus or at one of the Harrisonburg Post Offices. Please note that apartment complex name (i.e. Sunchase or Southview) is not considered a mailing address. Please also remember to include your apartment number.
24) Who is considered a commuter? The commuter is a student who lives near JMU and commutes to and from class. Others considered commuters are students enrolled only in distance learning classes, and students taking classes at a JMU extension campus in the United States.
25) When should I enter my commuter address? Enter your address information as soon as you have an accurate address. Add a new address and set the date to start using it, then choose Local as the Address Type. After that date arrives, you will lose your mailbox, but JMU will forward your mail for 90 days. The sooner you enter your commuter address, the sooner your box will be free for another student to use. This could help reduce the number of students who have to share boxes.
26) When will you stop forwarding my mail? Your mail will not be forwarded after the delete date you enter. JMU Mail Services will suspend all summer forwarding around the third week in August. This will allow your mail to be here when you return. If you will not be returning as a resident student, JMU Mail Services will forward your mail for one year provided you have given JMU an address.
27) Will I keep a JMU mailbox? You will keep the same JMU mailbox as long as you live on campus. Commuters lose their JMU mailbox, but may be reassigned the same box should their status change. Contact JMU Mail Services in this event.
28) Who should enter a forwarding address? You should enter an address with Address Type of Forward, if you are a JMU mail box holder who 1) will not be at JMU during the summer sessions, 2) is graduating at the end of the current term, or 3) is not returning to JMU for the upcoming regular fall/spring term. If you are a current commuter student, please go to the Harrisonburg Post Office to submit your forwarding address.
28) I am both a student and JMU employee. Where should I update my most recent address/phone information? You must update your address and/or phone information under the Student tab and the Employee tab in MyMadison. It is important to update using both tabs to ensure the Human Resources/Payroll departments and the Registrar's Office have the latest contact information on record for you. Human Resources/Payroll will mail your W2 at the end of the year and the Registrar will mail your graduation diploma upon graduation.